We were just in Alpine. Sportsman's Lodge had water/mud 8" up the doors….a real mess of mud and debris. Also hit was the Post Office, the ranger station, the Tackle shop…and others I suspect as well.
According to Rex, Tal Wi Wi was hit hard. We saw an 8 foot culvert taken out just above . . . → Read More: Alpine hit hard…
By Eric Burk Contributing Writer Published on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:16 AM MST
The worst fire in the history of Arizona may be out, but the Gila Valley could feel the effects of the Wallow Fire for two to three more years.
Although . . . → Read More: Ash from Wallow Fire killing fish in Gila River
Must say, this is ore than we expected for an 1 storm… Hope our road holds. KPICASA_GALLERY(NutriosoCreekFloods#) . . . → Read More: Nutrioso Creek covering our road
It found that fire severity was 16 to 61 percent higher in logged and planted areas, compared to those that had burned severely and were left alone in a fire 15 years earlier. The study was done in areas that had burned twice — once in the 1987 Silver Fire, and again in the massive . . . → Read More: Salvage Logging, Replanting Increased Biscuit Fire Severity
After Burn – Natural Recovery Post Fire
By Sandy Bahr (From the Canyon Echo)
“Although post-fire landscapes are often portrayed as ‘disasters’ in human terms, from an ecological perspective, fire is . . . → Read More: most salvage logging operations lose money for the taxpayers
We had a load of gravel delivered this morning…and it was king of the mountain! . . . → Read More: Dogs Love the Gravel
What a day was Monday….We poured the walls. Lots of busy folks making this happen. KPICASA_GALLERY(PouringTheWalls#) . . . → Read More: Pouring the Walls
(AFP) – 3 days ago WASHINGTON — Large predators like sharks, lions and wolves are on the decline worldwide, a trend that is disrupting the Earth’s ecosystem in all kinds of unusual ways, researchers said Thursday. “These predators and processes ultimately protect humans. This isn’t just about them, it’s about us,” said William Ripple, a professor of forestry at Oregon State University and co-author of the report in the journal Science. The planet is currently in the midst of the sixth mass extinction, said the study by scientists from 22 different institutions in six countries. More at AFP. . . . → Read More: Loss of big predators disrupts Earth ecosystem: study
Check it out. I had some still of this activity on Escudilla, but this is much better than what I have. 593info on Youtube. . . . → Read More: Straw drops on YouTube
The contract for seeding native grass seed by air may be awarded today. About 30% of the Wallow Fire was burned either severely or moderately which means most of the trees in those areas are dead. The remaining 70% of the total fire acreage was more lightly burned or unburned yet it is anticipated that some damaged trees in these areas will be succumbing to the effects of burned needles or roots over the next few years. Read about current restoration/prevention efforts . . . → Read More: BAER Tracks update on Wallow Fire restoration efforts